- The primary goal is to prevent defects. Where this is not possible or practical, the goals are to both find the defect as quickly as possible and minimize the impact of the defect.
- The defect management process should be risk driven - i.e., strategies, priorities, and resources should be based on the extent to which risk can be reduced.
- Defect measurement should be integrated into the software development process and be used by the outcome team to improve the process. The team should capture information on defects at the source. It should not be done after the fact by people unrelated to the activity.
- As much as possible, the capture and analysis of defect information should be automated.
- Defect information should be used to improve the process. Some defects are caused by imperfect or flawed processes. Thus to prevent defects, the process must be altered.
- Utilize customizable defect tracking apps in Podio to log and track defects in collaboration with automated Domo reporting for defect transparency.